Orthodontics for Children in Reynoldsburg, OH
While there is no exact age for children to begin orthodontic treatment, the American Association of Orthodontists recommends a visit to the orthodontist around age seven. Here at Hickman Orthodontics, we agree that the sooner a child is seen by one of our orthodontists, the sooner we can diagnose and correct tooth and jaw problems, and hopefully, do so without surgery.
As our patient, your child will receive highly personalized care in a comfortable friendly environment. We pride ourselves on treating each of our patients as if he or she were a member of our own family. The many years of combined experience of our doctors and staff mean that your child’s smile is in good hands in our office!
Early treatment allows Drs. Hickman and Slania to:
- Correct and guide the growth of your child’s jaw to help the permanent teeth come in straight
- Regulate the width of the upper and lower arches
- Create more space for crowded teeth
- Avoid the need for permanent tooth extractions later in life
- Correct thumb sucking and help improve minor speech problems
It’s not always easy to know if your child needs orthodontic treatment. Here are a few things to look for that may mean your child should visit Hickman Orthodontics:
- Early or late loss of baby teeth
- A hard time chewing or biting food
- Mouth breathing
- Finger or thumb sucking
- Crowded, misplaced, or blocked teeth
- Jaws that pop or make sounds when opening and closing
- Teeth that come together abnormally, or do not come together at all
- Jaws and teeth that are not proportionate to the rest of the face
- Crowded front teeth around age seven or eight
Getting Started with Treatment
During your first visit to our Reynoldsburg office, you and your child will first be greeted by a staff member who will provide you with a tour of our facility and a brief explanation of how your time might be spent while your child is in treatment. Next, you'll meet one of our highly experienced doctors: Dr. Lynnsay Hickman, Dr. Grant Slania.
One of our friendly staff members will then take pictures of your child’s smile and bite and capture a digital X-ray so that we can properly diagnose your child’s treatment needs. The doctor will review the X-ray and examine your child’s bite, then give you an idea of whether your child could benefit from orthodontic treatment or not, and whether this is the right time for treatment to be pursued. They will explain the steps necessary to begin treatment, review the costs associated with treatment, and answer any questions. There is no fee for this visit—this service is entirely complimentary as a courtesy to you and your dentist!
Please contact Hickman Orthodontics in Reynoldsburg, OH to schedule an appointment for an orthodontic evaluation. Early treatment now will give your son or daughter a healthy, beautiful smile for the future.