Orthodontic Treatment for Adults in Reynoldsburg, OH
Orthodontic treatment is no longer just for teens. In fact, about one in five orthodontic patients at Hickman Orthodontics is over the age of 21. Many of our adult patients choose to receive treatment because they understand the importance of maintaining their health, and they want to feel better about their appearance. You’re never too old to take advantage of the opportunity to receive orthodontic care!
For many adults, the thought of having metal braces is enough to discourage them from seeking treatment. However, orthodontic treatment options at Hickman Orthodontics are more comfortable, aesthetic, and customized than ever before! Clear aesthetic braces are very popular with our adult patients, as is Invisalign® clear aligners!
Why choose orthodontics as an adult?
- A bad bite or malocclusion, which causes teeth to fit together incorrectly and lead to uneven wear
- Teeth are crowded or spaced apart, possibly leading to tooth decay or gum disease
- Abnormal jaw pain or pressure caused by crooked teeth
- Desire for a healthier mouth and a more confident smile
The difference between adult orthodontics and orthodontics for children and teens
The main difference between treating adults and children or teens is that the jawbones of younger patients are still developing. For adults, these bones have stopped growing, which may make orthognathic surgery necessary to align the jawbones.
Other differences include:
- Gum or bone loss (periodontal disease) — Adults are more likely than children to experience gum recession or even bone loss due to gingivitis or advanced periodontal disease. Patients with straighter teeth are less likely to get gum disease.
- Worn or missing teeth — Over time, teeth can become worn down and shift into different positions that can only be corrected with orthodontic care. Missing teeth can cause other teeth to shift and tilt, creating a bad bite and increasing the possibility of gum disease.
- Incomplete orthodontic treatment as a teen — Many adults received some orthodontic treatment as a child or teen, but never completed their treatment. As an adult, they choose to complete their orthodontic treatment to achieve the healthy, beautiful smile they always wanted.
The doctors and staff at Hickman Orthodontics also recognize that adults and children have different needs, and require different levels of attention and care. We will work with you to ensure you receive the most appropriate treatments, and your needs are met with understanding and respect from us.
A Multidisciplinary Approach
In complicated cases, it may be in your best interest for your treatment needs to be coordinated between multiple providers. In these cases, we will work with your dentist and/or other specialists to be sure that everyone is aware of the treatment plan.
We also often refer patients to other specialists like periodontists and oral surgeons for adjunctive care. We work with an excellent network of specialists with whom we've built relationships and trust over many years. Many of our adult patients come to us on a referral basis from dentists who have trusted us to provide excellent orthodontic treatment based on the great results we've demonstrated for them throughout the years.
Getting Started with Treatment
Your initial consultation will consist of an office tour, an overview of the orthodontic services we provide, and a meet-and-greet with Dr. Hickman or Dr. Maerz. We will take photos of your teeth and bite, and take a digital X-ray of your mouth. These will be reviewed by your orthodontist, who will then perform a simple oral exam and explain whether or not orthodontic treatment is right for you.
After your initial consultation with our Reynoldsburg, OH orthodontists, we will complete a thorough diagnosis based on your records and prepare a treatment plan that may include one or more options based on your individual needs. We work hard to be sure that your treatment plan is specifically designed and customized for you.
To learn more about the benefits of adult orthodontics, please contact our Reynoldsburg, OH practice to schedule an appointment. We understand you have a busy schedule, and we will work with you to make sure each office visit is as convenient as possible.